3 Minute Thesis Competition
3MT® Thesis Competition 2018
Please take the time to read through this page before you begin the nomination process.
Ngā Pae o te Māramatanga is pleased to once again host the Indigenous 3-Minute Thesis Competition at the 8th Biennial International Indigenous Research Conference 2018
When: Wednesday 14 November 2018
Where: University of Auckland Business School, Owen G Glenn Building, Lecture Theatre 260-098
The top 10 presentations will be invited to compete on the night which will be held in front of a large audience during the conference on Wednesday, 14 November 2018
- Open to ALL New Zealand Māori, Pacific and Indigenous international students currently enrolled in a PhD at a tertiary institution
- ALL entries (including Supervisor Nomination form) must be received by 5 pm on 1 October 2018
- $500 cash stipend for the Best Presentation in te reo Māori
- $500 cash stipend for the Best Presentation in English
- Sponsored book prizes by our key sponsors - Otago University Press, Auckland University Press and Huia Publishers
- Other "spot" prizes
For further details please contact:
Terms & Conditions of Entry
This exciting event offers New Zealand Māori, Pacific and Indigenous international students, currently enrolled in a PhD at a tertiary institution, the chance to present their research to a global audience and compete for some sponsored prizes. There are only 10 places available in the competition. Selection of the competitors will be at the discretion of the Organising Committee.
• Doctoral candidates whose thesis is under examination are eligible to compete; however, students who have had their degree conferred do not qualify.
• Candidates accept that their participation in this competition may be photographed and filmed and these made available across the host’s, Ngā Pae o te Māramatanga’s website and social media sites.
• Candidates must be registered to attend the Ngā Pae o te Māramatanga’s 2018 International Indigenous Research Conference to be eligible for selection.
IIRC2018 3MT® Competition Rules
1. A single PowerPoint slide is permitted. No slide transitions, animations, or ‘movement’ of any description are allowed.
2. The slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration.
3. No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted.
4. No other props (e.g. musical instruments) are allowed.
5. Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum. Slides will be automatically set to a 3-minute timer. The timer will start as soon as the slide appears and end as soon as the slide disappears.
6. Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps, songs, or other types of performances).
7. The presentation can be given in either English or te reo Māori.
8. The decision of the Judges Panel is final.
• Communication style: was the thesis topic and its significance communicated in language appropriate to an intelligent but non-specialist audience?
• Comprehension: did the presentation help the audience understand the thesis topic?
• Engagement: did the presentation make the audience want to know more?