|Ko Maungakiekie te maunga||Maungakiekie is the mountain|
|Ko Waitemata te moana||Waitemata is the sea|
|Ko Mahuhu-o-te Rangi te waka||Mahuhu-o-te Rangi is the canoe|
|Ko Ngati Whatua te Iwi||Ngati Whatua are the people/tribe|
|Ko Te Purengi te wharenui||Te Purengi is the meeting house|
|Ko Te Kaipara te wharekai||Te Kaipara is the dining hall|
|Ko Nga Wai O Horotiu te marae||Nga Wai O Horotiu is the marae|
Accommodation is available at the Auckland University of Technology (AUT) Nga Wai O Horotiu marae, throughout the duration of the 8th Biennial International Indigenous Development Research Conference 2018, hosted by Ngā Pae o te Māramatanga.
This is modest accommodation providing you an authentic Marae stay experience.
If you are staying at the AUT marae then you must attend the pōhiri at AUT marae on Sunday 11 November at 9am.
The conference itself takes place from Tuesday 13–16 November 2018.
The AUT marae offers the following
- This is a modest shared-accommodation and sleeping option.
- Overnight rate per person is $50 per night.
- Visitors sleep communal style on a single mattress on the carpeted floor.
- Toilets and showers are attached to the meeting-house.
- A sheet and covered pillow are provided.
- Visitors will need to bring their own towels, toiletries and sleeping bag/duvet.
- We do have blankets for you to use if you require one, just let us know.
- Basic breakfast options are provided, efforts have been made in the selection of breakfast options to include vegetarian and vegan food.
- If you want to book as a family/group with elderly and/or require special sleeping requirements, please contact the Marae Stay Organiser; Michelle Robin firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Continental breakfast will be served in Te Kaipara on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday mornings from 7am to 8am.
There are certain Māori protocols pertaining to the marae and its buildings:
- Food is not consumed on the Marae forecourt nor inside the meeting-house as the area is regarded as tapu (sacred).
- No alcohol is permitted on the Marae grounds.
- Shoes are not to be worn inside the meeting house.
- Clothing is not to be hung on the carvings or other decorated features.
- Pillows are not sat upon.
- The Auckland University of Technology is smoke-free.
- Be respectful of others at all times.
Marae Stay Contact is: Michelle Robin, e-mail email@example.com, phone: 0064 (9) 921 9999. If you wish to stay at the marae please download and complete the booking form at the bottom of this page and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marae Address: AUT Nga Wai O Horotiu Marae WP block, located on the corner of Wellesley and St Pauls Street, Auckland City.
City map (WP block is the AUT marae) link here: http://www.aut.ac.nz/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/18155/AUT-campus-map-city-web-v3.pdf
INFORMATION FOR THE DELEGATES AND INTERNATIONAL VISITORS
AUT NGA WAI O HOROTIU MARAE PŌHIRI AND CHECK-IN
- Check in at AUT Marae is on Sunday 11 November from 8:00am to 9:00am. Your conference registration tax receipt (as proof of payment) will be required when checking in.
- If you are staying at the AUT marae then you must attend the pōhiri at AUT marae on Sunday 11 November at 9am.
- The Marae will be made available after the AUT Marae pōhiri Sunday 11 November at 9:00am, giving those staying the opportunity to unpack and setup beds. Marae staff will be staying onsite and will be there to assist.
- Marae Stay check-out will be on Friday 16 November 2018 from 9am.
- Pre-conference workshops are being held at the AUT Campus 7 St Pauls Street on Monday 12 November 18 (registration details will be available on our website)
- Conference Registration Desk opens Sunday 11 November at 9:30am at The University of Auckland, Owen G Glenn Business School, Level 0 Foyer, 12 Grafton Road, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Conference Pōhiri is Tuesday 13 November 18 at The University of Auckland, Waipapa Marae, 7 Alten Road, Auckland, New Zealand.
AUT NGA WAI O HOROTIU MARAE HOUSEKEEPING
- No shoes are to be worn inside the wharenui (meeting house)
- No walking or jumping on mattresses
- No sitting on pillows
- No food/drink in or around the wharenui (meeting house)
- No smoking, drugs or alcohol allowed on AUT premises
- Keep noise to a minimum
- Be respectful of each other at all times
- Be a tidy kiwi (use rubbish bins provided)
WHAT TO BRING
- Sleeping bag or duvet. (A mattress, sheet, pillow and pillow case will be provided by the marae). If you are an overseas visitor and require a blanket please let Michelle know.
- Towel/(s) – if you are an overseas visitor and require a towel(s) please let Michelle know.
- Any medication
- Keep your luggage to one compact sized bag to save storage space in the sleeping area.
Please note: While we take every precaution to ensure the Marae is secure throughout your stay, please be vigilant in keeping yourself and your belongings and valuables safe and secure at all times. We strongly recommend you leave all valuables at home.
AUT NGA WAI O HOROTIU MARAE LUGGAGE CHECK-IN
Your conference name tag & Registration tax receipt (as proof of payment) will be required when checking in your bag.
You can check in your bag for holding at AUT Nga Wai O Horotiu Marae after you have registered. The Marae will be set up and available from 7pm, giving those staying the opportunity to unpack and setup beds before or after the evening social event. Marae staff will be staying onsite and will be there to assist. Check-out will be on Friday 16 November 2016 from 9am.